Friday, February 17, 2012

02/17/12 - WinePress Publishers

All updates at the bottom of post!

I would like to offically cut all ties to my first publisher "WinePress Publishers". I regrettably write this blog post because WinePress has yet to remove my name from their success story, so I would like to cut ties publicly with them, since they won't remove my name after three times of me asking them to.

When I first published my book, Athena Dean was the owner and operator of WinePress. Athena was an amazing publisher! I am so thankful that our paths crossed.

Last year Athena cut ties with WinePress and the church that now operates WinePress: Sound Doctrine. If you would like to read Athena's story you can at: Not Afraid to Tell my Story

When Athena contacted me on Januray 11, 2012 I sent an email to WinePress asking them to remove my "success story" from their website because of a pending lawsuit.

Malcolm Fraser wrote me back on Janurary 12, 2012 stating:
"
Greetings Heather,

Thanks for your message.

WinePress is not currently involved in any lawsuit, nor are we aware that one has been filed. Apparently, you have received information regarding one that is pending. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you've heard and how you came to hear about it so that we can deal with any issues in a Biblical manner.

It appears that some false information may be at the source of some unfortunate gossip, so I'd be very careful about believing the first thing you hear on such matters. Doing justice to WinePress would be to let us know the specifics and details of what you've been told, and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Sincerely,
Malcolm Fraser
Executive Officer"

On January 16th WinePress released a rebuttal to the accusations from Athena, which stated: "However, in light of the threat of a pending "lawsuit," our attorney has advised us to provide a specific rebuttal. Therefore, we are including the following facts – which are fully documented and verifiable – to address the main points of Athena's accusations"

You can read their entire rebuttal here: http://www.winepresspublishing.com/downloads/WP_Rebuttal_Statement%20.pdf

As of posting this blog the first date on the rebuttal was January 16th. So Mr. Fraser accused me of having false information on January 12th. But just 4 days later, on advice from their lawyer, they wrote a rebuttal. So Mr. Fraser is asking me to believe that on January 12th they had no idea what Athena had accused them of.

Yes, the lawsuit had not been filed, but he twisted his words making me believe he knew nothing of what Athena was going to do.

I contacted Mr. Fraser again on February 9th asking him again to remove my story from their website. Stating that if I had known Athena was no longer in charge I would have removed my name and I believe Sound Doctrine is a cult and wouldn't like to be associated with them or WinePress.

Yesterday I received a letter from WinePress stating:

"I am sorry to hear that you don't wish to deal with the false accusations against WinePress in a biblical manner."

If you'd like to see the whole letter I'd be happy to email it to you.

They also sent me a copy of Timothy Williams book "The Gospel and Gossip".

After this letter I received, I emailed Mr. Fraser again asking him to remove my name.

This issue with Athena Dean and WinePress has been very public. I am sharing both sides and do not feel that this is gossip.

I write this again because WinePress has yet to remove my story from their success story. I am thankful for Athena Dean in helping me publish the first edition of Emotional Purity!

UPDATE: An email, dated February 20th, after another attempt for WinePress to remove my story, Malcolm Fraser said, "Concerning your success story, we have removed what we are legally obligated to remove." Which, if you look at their site, there is all my info about my Success Story, but the pictures of my book covers are not there. This is very sad to me.

UPDATE March 21, 2012: Latest with Malcolm Fraser (they still haven't removed my name from their site) http://www.courierherald.com/news/143737156.html

UPDATE: March 23, 2012: I've once again tried to remove contact with WinePress and once again had a very frustrating set of email exchanges with someone there. Here's the latest on Malcolm Fraser: http://www.courierherald.com/news/143914876.html

Again I want no contact or association with WinePress Publishers!

3 comments:

Mandi said...

@Malcolm- You'll have to forgive me, but things that are of the Lord don't have this much controversy! When I see more than three separate people say that there is something wrong with one company, I'm going to think there is something WRONG with that company, not the three people who have been wronged.

Something doesn't feel right in Denmark here. When someone respectfully asks you to cut ties with you and you don't let them, it looks like you have something to hide. FYI- I just looked on Winepress Publishing's website, Heather's story which she ASKED you to REMOVE is STILL THERE! I'm guessing that integrity and respect of others is not a value you uphold at WP. Shame on you!

I also looked at that website you gave and was horrified at your outright annihilation a book written by Athena Dean. You took her personal feelings and attacked them, thus leaving me to believe that you did not care about what was happening to her emotionally nor financially. Nor did you lay proof or as the site claims, "Hard Facts" to how she was actually wrong.

It sounds to me that Sound Doctrine has become a communistic organization. The actions you did to publicly humiliate another person's feelings was more of an example of pride and un-Christlike behavior than loving your neighbor which was what Christ claimed as our greatest commandment. I'm not judging you, but forgive me if actions on this publishing companies behalf speak so loudly I can't hear what you're saying.

Might I also comment that giving free copies of "Gossip and the Truth" doesn't scream honor or success in the corporate world. See, I can get a free copy of the bible AND a free copy of the Book of Mormon and there is an EXASPERATED difference between both books as one was written by a man and the other was God breathed.

@Heather- thanks for letting me know about this. As I've been considering publishing some of my work independently. I know I were I WON'T be going. Thank you.

P.S I LOVED your book! (I thought I should end this on a positive note because it was truly AWESOME! LOL)

Anonymous said...

@Mandi
You wrote: "You'll have to forgive me, but things that are of the Lord don't have this much controversy!"

Really? So exactly how did Jesus end up being crucified? Or why was the early church persecuted and called a "sect?" And why are thousands of Christians all over the world today still persecuted - often by their own families - for their "controversial" faith in Jesus?

So when someone writes a 12-page report containing outright lies, deliberately intended to destroy an entire church and business, and then spreads it around the internet as gossip, that's okay? But when we post the TRUTH, using direct quotes from her book and her report, that's somehow "un-Christlike?"

You may want to read Matthew 23, and see just how "un-Christlike" it is.

The truth is, you've already decided (judged) that we're wrong and bad - so nothing we do, even if it's completely Biblical, will convince you otherwise.

You might actually try reading "Gossip and the Gospel" before criticizing it.

Mandi said...

MALCOLM- "Really? So exactly how did Jesus end up being crucified? Or why was the early church persecuted and called a "sect?" And why are thousands of Christians all over the world today still persecuted - often by their own families - for their "controversial" faith in Jesus?"

MANDI- Oh brother! Get off the cross! You aren't Jesus! You're more of a poster child for victims everywhere, but you are NOT Jesus! But if you want, you continue to sit in that mud puddle of yours, screaming about how someone pushed you into the muck instead of getting up on your own two feet and getting out of it.

And to be clear about my statement about Christian Controversy, I was talking about how a ministry has it's problems, but the WinePress's reaction to this has been without biblical merit! Slandering people who are against them, quoting only portions of the bible rather than reading the ENTIRE context... Jesus didn't die so you could blasphemy Christianity and could look holier than thou! Actually, you remind me of the Pharisees. Not Jesus. And that's just an observation... If you don't like it, might I suggest you changing it?

MALCOLM-"So when someone writes a 12-page report containing outright lies, deliberately intended to destroy an entire church and business, and then spreads it around the internet as gossip, that's okay? But when we post the TRUTH, using direct quotes from her book and her report, that's somehow "un-Christlike?"

MANDI- No, I expect a company to stand on it's own integrity and let it speak for itself! That DOESN'T give you the freedom to slander the opposite person because they slandered you!
Matthew 5: 38-41 says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."

I'd really like to ask you, as a company, did YOU read Matt 23?? ESPECIALLY verses 25-28?! Also, you CAN'T read Matthew 23 without first reading Matthew 22 where Christ said the greatest commandment was loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself! And I just checked, your company still hasn't taken off Heather's success story. Talk about being hypocritical! And trust me, I noticed you didn't have anything to say about deleting Heather's comment from the site. I wanted you to know that I noticed. Accountability is really hard for some, sounds like you're one of the strugglers?

MALCOLM-"The truth is, you've already decided (judged) that we're wrong and bad - so nothing we do, even if it's completely Biblical, will convince you otherwise."

MANDI- There are different meanings for the words "decided" and "judged". For the record, I "D-E-C-I-D-E-D" not to use your company all the while holding the actions of your company "A-C-O-U-N-T-A-B-L-E"! Note: I didn't judge!. Webster's your friend, look it up! Besides, your response killed any inclination I might have had in looking at your company. Thanks, but no thanks.

MALCOLM-"You might actually try reading "Gossip and the Gospel" before criticizing it."

MANDI- After your comments to me and your reply and lack of reading the WHOLE bible, I think I'll pass. Your witness leaves a vinegar taste in my mouth.

I'm done talking to you. But I'm sure you've got SOMETHING to say. And by all means, say it. Just don't ask me listen. The words you write makes my eyes bleed and head hurt for any Christian that listens to you and thinks you speak truth.