Wednesday, October 3, 2007

10/03/07 - BarlowGirl

Today I received this interview with BarlowGirl and I thought this was worth sharing:

"You don’t date…how might God orchestrate a husband for you?

Alyssa: We really felt God challenge us in our life just to say, Yes, the world says that you have to date around. You have to date a lot of different people to find out who you like or find out who you’re compatible with. And we really felt God challenging us to say, Girls, would you be willing to give me your single years? Would you be willing to set aside dating a bunch of different people right now to just give your heart to a bunch of different people? Would you be willing to find out what true love is? So we we've discovered this journey of saying, Yes, God, we’ll give you our hearts now in this season. We won’t date around. We’re going to give you our hearts. We’re dedicating these years to you and we'll find out who we are and what a Proverbs 31 woman is.

In the long run, I want to be a good mother. I want to be a good wife. I don’t just want to be a good girlfriend. We’re looking long term. Instead of what’s going to satisfy me now, I’m looking ahead at tomorrow and honoring my husband all the days of my life — starting today, starting before I even know him. I want to honor him with my heart. I want to honor him by guarding myself as if we were married now.

We’ve seen so many people walk this out, our brother being one of them. Our brother and his wife had never dated other people, ended up becoming good friends in college. They have three beautiful children. We notice the one thing that really carries a lot of marriages through is a foundation of friendship and a foundation of a deep love. No matter what they face, they’re best friends first. That’s something that we really desire. We just haven’t found the right one yet. Right ones. Plural. There’s three of them. [laughs]"

These are three, beautiful, young women who have committed themselves to remaining emotionally pure for their husbands.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I have only suddenly come to the point where Im thinking that you should only date to marry if you do date because I am wanting to save my heart for my "furture" husband... what if I gave all I had in a relationship that did not last? That just would not be fair or considerate for my future husband.

Although then again, I am still not completely sure? and what if its only easy for me to say because I have not really had anyone take much interest in me yet?